tirsdag 25. januar 2011

dnsmasq

dnsmasq is a wonderful little daemon providing dhcp (IPv4) and dns, and integrates these, so a client provided with an IP-address using DHCP will also be available through DNS.  And it is really easy to set up, it gets all relevant information from /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers, but you can also add extra parameters through command line or config file.


Configuration

The build system for dnsmasq doesn't come with configure, but there are really few options and these can be manipulated with the make command line, or, as I did, by changing config.h. I removed:

  • tftp-support (cmdline: COPTS=-DNO_TFTP), if I want to boot machines through the network, I will use my regular fileserver for tftp, not the firewall
  • script-support (cmdline: COPTS=-DNO_SCRIPT), I don't think I will need scripts, and including them seems like a potential security problem

Build with make and install in /usr/sbin.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar